Sunday, April 28, 2013

Eating my way around Japan part 3 Asakichi Ryokan, Ise City, Mie Prefecture


I have always wanted to stay the night in a traditional Japanese Inn, so when my friend suggested we visit the city of Ise for some sightseeing I asked her to look for a ryokan we might stay in and enjoy a traditional meal at. We settled on the Asakichi Ryokan which really turned out to be a treat, a very old traditional Japanese building with tatami rooms and sliding doors etc.
The evening meal was amazing and the chef/waiter very friendly and enthusiastic about explaining the food and suggesting a variety of sake for us to try. Naturally I worked my way through as many beverages as he could suggest. The next day breakfast was equally delicious and like dinner it was served in the huge dining room ( we were the only two guests on this day ) . For both meals it was explained that the fish and other ingredients were local specialities. 

Dinner first course 


I had the tail half of the fish and my friend the head


An amazing soup with local clams 


Sardine and pickled plum


Squid and pickles 


Sashimi



The chef doubling as the waiter and sake advisor 


A selection of the drinks and sake cups we used ....



Tea and rice accompanied the meal to add to the washing up


Breakfast



Beans and vegetables


Pickles


omelette 


The dining room 


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:04 am , Blogger The Glebe Blog said...

Looks like you're having a great time Mike. I think I'd need a twelve month familiarization course before going on a Sushi trail, even a rare steak bothers me.

 
At 9:58 am , Blogger Mike said...

It was great , I'm back now so posting in the past so to speak. I love the food and I think you can get in the zone very quickly because in the most part the flavours are fresh and subtle

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home